Prospecting the Blogosphere

about the UCI blog survey.

all opinions express herein are only makko's and ocean's, and do not necessarily reflect opinions of any of the other UCI blog survey team members

Name:
Location: Irvine, California

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Sending International Email

Its always great to get email from bloggers about what they think of our survey.

moondial told me:
In that case it would be best to write this message in Japanese with its subject line also in Japanese; most of the virus protection software settings over here throws away messages only in single-byte alpha-numerals. Likewise, many blogs do not accept alpha-numerals only comments, as many are sent in by spammers.
I have a nagging fear that all the emails I've been sending to Asian language speakers have been forwarded to /dev/null due to spam filters. Egads! All that wasted effort. Also, what encoding do I use for emails? I've always loved utf-8 for its uniformity, but perhaps not all mail readers support it.

As I mentioned before, blogging != diary:
I myself consider blogging tool set to be a handy contents management system rather than a journaling medium, and consequently my entries are more or less a collection of little essays each focusing on a particular topic. And therefore my, weblog has a considerably small readership.
I think blogging is also attractive because of its slightly voyeuristic angle. Its what drives intelligent people to watch stupid people do stupid things on (reality) television. But, I think blogging is set apart in that mundane events are common. Mundane to them, but nevertheless comforting to know that someone else out there has nothing to do on a Friday night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman-san,

Re: language encoding, basically it is ISO-2022-JP which is used for e-mail exchange in the Japanese language. Please refer to the Requests For Comments (RFC) #1468, 1554, 2045-2048 and 2237 (at www.faqs.org/rfcs/). I am no expert on all these tech-oriented topics; hope someone more knowledgeable can help you about this.

moondial (commenting as anonymous; no Blogger account)

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home